Email: [email protected]
Education: Stanford University, B.A.; Arizona State University, J.D.
Admitted to the State Bars of Arizona and California
Mark has extensive practice in the fields of real estate law and private venture finance, including in the areas of development, acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, finance, leasing, syndications, and zoning and entitlements. He has handled an estimated $4 billion of real estate and venture capital transactions and financings. Mark also works in the areas of banking, workouts, corporate, business planning and formations, government relations, telecommunications and utility regulation. Mark also has a considerable civil litigation practice and has significant trial and courtroom experience. After obtaining his undergraduate degree from Stanford University, Mark earned his law degree from Arizona State University.
Among the legal projects on which Mark has worked are:
- Negotiating and drafting a “Development and Disposition Agreement” with the City of Phoenix, and handling the developer zoning and legal work for the condemnation and redevelopment of a block in downtown Phoenix for a new hotel.
- Handling all the legal work for the acquisitions of several multi-property office, retail and multi-family portfolios with values in excess of $100,000,000 each.
- Creation and licensing of a national bank and its holding company, including the successful regulatory approvals by the OCC, FDIC and Federal Reserve.
- Negotiating and documenting a Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Phoenix for the lease and development of an industrial complex on City of Phoenix owned land at Sky Harbor Center.
- Securing $13.5 million in city guaranteed development loans from the City of Scottsdale at a sub-market interest rate for the development of infrastructure and subdivision improvements for the “Legend Trail” master-planned golf course community. Mark also successfully negotiated for the City of Scottsdale to provide a water supply to this site, which the City was not legally obligated to serve. He also obtained access to serve the project over state lands.
- Formation of the water and sewer companies needed to serve master planned communities outside of any city’s municipal boundaries.
- The rezoning and development of a mixed-use project of 150,000 square feet of retail and 150,000 square feet of office space in Scottsdale, Arizona. Mark was retained to successfully rezone this property after previous attempts to rezone the property proved unsuccessful. Mark was also successful in negotiating with the U.S. Corps of Engineers to remove this property from a flood plain.
Currently, Mark serves as a member of Gen-Next, a group of successful business leaders dedicated to making the world safe and prosperous for future generations through entrepreneurial philanthropy and political action. Among his other civic and philanthropic activities, Mark has served as a campaign advisor and finance committee member for a number of city, state, county and federal elected office holders, as well as Chairman of the Republican Party in District 25. He also ran for the United States Congress.